Print this page


What is Alcohol?

Alcohol is a depressant. It is carried through the bloodstream to the brain, stomach, internal organs, liver, kidneys, and muscles. Alcohol affects the central nervous system and brain.

Street names:

Booze, LQ, licks, 40, tonic, etc.

Did you know?

  • Studies show that a person who starts drinking before age 15 is four times more likely to develop alcoholism than someone who delays drinking until age 21.
  • Each year, about 5,000 people under the age of 21 die as a result of underage drinking. Here is the breakdown:
    • 1,900 deaths from motor vehicle accidents
    • 1,600 homicides
    • 300 suicides
    • Hundreds of alcohol-related deaths and injuries from drowning, falls and other accidents

Dangerous because:

  • People who are under the influence may take dangerous risks such as getting behind the wheel of a car, driving recklessly, picking a fight, having unprotected sex or doing something else they will regret.
  • Drinking too much can lead to alcohol poisoning, blacking out, and choking on one’s vomit.
  • Drinking too much decreases alertness, which can cause someone to ignore signs of alcohol poisoning in others or danger to themselves.

Signs of use:

  • Slurred speech
  • Lack of coordination
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Smell of alcohol on breath


Other Resources: