Paying for treatment

The NH Department of Health and Human Services’ Bureau of Drug and Alcohol Services fund programs that have a sliding fee scale in place based on federal poverty guidelines and accept patients regardless of their ability to pay for services. These are listed in the Resource Guide under Outpatient Treatment, Crisis Sites and Residential Treatment. Visit the New Hampshire Resource Guide page.

Most health insurance plans cover recovery treatment. Some facilities in New Hampshire offer services based on your ability to pay. Medicaid and Medicare also provide some coverage.

Most treatment and recovery facilities give an idea of the type of payment required on their websites. Staff at these facilities can also clarify information about insurance and payment.


New Hampshire follows federal and state guidelines for coverage.
Please contact Medicaid directly for more information.

  • New Hampshire Medicaid client services
  • Local: 603-271-4344
  • Toll-Free in New Hampshire: 1-800-852-3345 x4344


Please contact Medicare directly for more information.

Inpatient Substance Use Disorder Services:

  • 1-800-633-4227

Outpatient Substance Use Disorder Services

  • 1-800-633-4227

State of New Hampshire Carrier

  • 1-877-567-3101

Private Insurance

Most private insurance companies cover inpatient and outpatient services, but the amount of coverage varies from plan to plan. Call the customer service number on your insurance card to find out more.