“Working together to reduce the problems
and create solutions on substance misuse in our region.”
Makin' It Happen Coalition for Resilient Youth - Substance Misuse and other Health Promotionsunit is a collaborative partnership between Manchester Health Department (MHD), Makin' It Happen Coalition for Resilient Youth (MIH) and our community partners.
We are a region on a mission! Focused on creating a coordinated community response among individuals, organizations, businesses and communities to promote positive behaviors that measurably improve the health and well-being of our youth and families, with a focus on alcohol, tobacco and other drug prevention.
What We Do:
- YouthNet – Our region-wide YouthNet initiative includes quarterly youth-based workshop opportunities focused on current trends and topics selected by our youth. Our Youth Forum model provides a platform for our youth to discuss, express and create messaging and solutions to the issues they face every day. This is an interactive, peer-to-peer based model that allows for open dialog among their peers in their own high school and provides an opportunity to connect with the other high school youth forum groups in the region. Throughout both of these youth-centric programs the youth identify, plan, and activate environmental strategies that support their discussion and solutions to topics they collectively identify as important to them.
- Suicide Prevention Initiative (SPi) – Our region-wide suicide prevention initiative is based on the belief that suicide is generally preventable, everyone plays a role in suicide prevention, and prevention is a collaborative effort. This initiative is supported by our six core community sectors, has its own three-year strategic plan which is designed to increase our capacity to inform, respond and connect.
- Life of an Athlete – This premier whole health youth empowerment program is actively running in all three of our region’s public school districts. Supported by a statewide endorsement by the NHIAA, we are working with our high schools, communities and stakeholders to continue developing and supporting this program. Stay tuned!
- Weed and Seed Initiative – In collaboration with MPAL (Manchester Police Athletic League) this community focused initiative continues to work on ‘weeding’ out the negative attitudes and unsafe neighborhoods and ‘seed’ in healthy living and safe neighborhoods through community members and family serving organizations working together to identify problems, develop solutions and collective work together to bring change to our city center neighborhoods.
- Substance Abuse Collaborative – Seven years and counting! This group has been working diligently over the last seven years to address the substance abuse issues within the region, through a collective impact model. This group meets monthly, and is open to any organization or individual that is working in the substance use disorder field, social service agency or community volunteer interested in joining the conversation.
How You Can Get Involved:
We need you to help to build a healthier community. You may participate in workgroups, initiatives, planning processes or just getting on the mailing list for information. A representative from the Coalition will be available to meet with anyone interested in learning more and becoming involved
Auburn, Bedford, Candia, Deerfield, Goffstown, Hooksett, Manchester, New Boston