It can be hard when your friend is in over his or her head with drugs. Maybe you tell yourself that they have it under control, but you’re afraid for them anyway. Maybe you realize that they don’t have it under control, but they’ve made you promise not to tell anyone. You’re in a tough position but you can get help.
You know your friend may have a problem if:
- Their attitude, mood, or appearance changes for the worse.
- They use alcohol, drugs or prescription pills frequently.
- They hide alcohol, drugs or pills to use later.
- They steal or lie to get drugs.
- They need to use drugs to have fun or relax.
- They complain or even get mad, when they don’t have drugs.
If you spot any of these changes or signs in one of your friends, get them help right away. Never try to help them quit on their own. Here’s what you can do.